Monday, September 29, 2008

Nutrition tips

Although I am really big into working out, I am constantly trying to educated myself on the nutrition to go along with it. I know somethings for example, I know what I shouldn't and should be eating, I know my BMR things of that nature. But I really would like to get the most out of my workouts, and I know that your diet affects most of that. I have gone to www.mypyramid.gov to try and keep track because I don't think I eat enough for the amount nor the intensity that I workout, but I was just wondering other peoples hints or tips that they do.

2 comments:

SJ said...

For my workouts, when I do workout i like to keep it consistant and at a high intensity. I feel that through getting my heart rate up it's benefitting me more than takeing a longer rest in between workouts. Also I agree that proper nutrion is the key to seeing any results.

varsityturco said...

What nutritional needs can vary depending on the goals for why your working out. Some one trying to lose weight will have different nutritional needs than someone who is trying to put on lean mass. If you are trying to lose weight, it is important, first, to find the amount of calories you burn in a day for someone your size and activity level. After this, eat a few hundred less calories than you burn in a day (how many less depends on the total calories burnt in a day) while keeping the majority of your carb intake around workouts.
Gaining lean mass, however, requires consuming usually around 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Carbs and protein about an hour before an intense workout are important; just as are protein(shakes are best for post-workout) and simple carbs after a workout. Simple carbs help with protein metabolism. Complex carbs are important to take in with protein throughout the day as well.
This is just extremely simplistic though. People can write books on this type of question.