I've seen a few posts about some plyometric workouts. I offered to to email them, but I know we are all too busy to try rememeber to email someone or to look them up, so now you don;t have to =) Below is some plyo's that I put together for my girls. I also have a plyo circuit that we did once a week. Enjoy.
Plyometrics
Medicine ball squats- squeeze ball to chest, jump straight up, tuck knees to ball/chest. Start and land in a squat position.
Squat Jumps- With hands behind the head, start in a squat position, explode up and land in a squat position.
Split Squat Jumps- With hands behind the head, start in a squat position, explode up and split the legs, land in a lunge position, and explode up again switching the split leg position.
Hurdles:
Lateral jumps- Two feet jump laterally, over the hurdles
Front to back- Two feet jumps quickly jump front to back over the hurdles. Make sure to not double hop
Two hurdle single feet- Start by straddling one hurdle. The foot in between the two hurdles will lead. Doing high knees, do single foot quick touches laterally.
Box Jumps:
“Offense Jump”- two feet jumps, laterally, straight over the box. Go both sides.
“Defense Jump”- two feet jumps, laterally, with quick one touch on top of box (No double bounce or jumping when on top of box). Go both sides.
Combine Offense/Defense Jumps- two feet, laterally, quick one touch over box, quick one touch over the same box back, no touch back over box forward, proceed to next box.
Standing Spread box jump- Legs spread over the middle of the box, one foot on each side of the box. Start in a squat position. At the same time, jump and bring both feet to the top of the box, quick touch on the top of the box, and quick touch off the ground. Do 5 jumps, and hold the squat position for 5 seconds. Repeat 2 more times, 15 jumps total.
Drop-off box jump- Start standing, both feet, on the box. Step down from the top of the box and quickly explode back onto the top of the box. Switch feet you are stepping off of the box in order to work both legs.
Jump-Off Box Jump- With a medicine ball, start standing on top of the box, legs shoulder width apart. Drop off of box with medicine ball between your legs. Land in a squat position, slowly rise-up legs into a standing position, pull medicine ball from between the legs up over the head in sync with legs.
Calf/Ankle Strengthening- Standing on a box, balance on one foot on the “ball of your feet”. After doing one foot, switch to the other.
Free-Throw Lane/Line Jump Circuit- Start with two feet jumps, side to side, follow up the lane line, across free throw line, backwards down the lane line, and then across the baseline. Switch directions repeating with two feet. Next, starting with the right foot, one foot jumps side to side up the lane line and across the free throw line. Once reaching the next lane line, switch to your left foot, single foot jumps side to side backwards down the lane line and then across the baseline.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Good exercises. I use some of these exercises in my PE classes. Do you use these exercises for your basketball?
Have any of the girls seen any results? I know that your team has worked hard doing these exercises but do you just do them for preseason or do you continue to do plyo's during the season?
I use these workouts for my players, yes. (to Patrick D) We were doing a plyo circuit once a week. I designed their lifting program to be intense and for just 2 days a week, so we could spend one day doing endurance lifting instead of straight up strength.
emoney,
Do I see results? I would say yes and know. You know how it goes, some people bust their asses, others hardly work. The more you put in, the more you are going to get out of it. Some girls I can tell have gotten faster. Example, presto, she has tremendous speed straight on, but her leteral movement and footwork is horrendous. Just from starting defensive drills the last few days I can see a difference in her footwork. Now, can I tell a difference in some of the other kids that don't work hard? Not really. Except that they times have gotten faster for some workouts.
let me clarify to patrick d.
our lifting program was mon wed and fri. on mon and friday they have 12 full body lifts (i.e. single leg squat into a shoulder press) On wed they do their plyo circuit. So, twice a week they have a heavy weights low reps, one day they have low weights with high reps doing plyo metric and body weight exercies. Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first description.
Post a Comment