Thursday, October 30, 2008

supplements

I know some of the people in are class are huge sport enthusiasts or workout pheens. Do any of you use any supplements? If so what do you use to enhance your performance? I have heard different things about creatine and other non-illegal products, just wondering what facts everybody knows.

3 comments:

Patrick D said...

Supplements are meant to enhance a poor diet. Most people can benefit from supplements because the American diet is poor. I currently take a multivit/min formula for men. When my immune system is depressed I take, Zinc lozenges with Echinecea/Goldenseal and Vitamin C. When I am training for hypertrophy. I supplement with Protein. When I looking to suppass my plateaus in strength training I supplement with creatine. Supplements are very expensive and can be costly to towards the body on long-term basis. It lowers bodies ability to create amino acid and places a lot of stress on the kidneys and digestive track. It can severly dehydrate someone. The best way to supplement is short term and to rotate among reputable companies who have been around for a long time.

varsityturco said...

I regularly use protein as a supplement. Post-workout protein shakes gives protein that can be absorbed and put to use much faster than whole food. Protein is also good before doing any relatively intense cardiovascular exercise if you want to minimize muscular breakdown. In addition, protein is much easier to transport and prepare. Any high intensity athlete should probably use protein if they wish to maximize their gains. Is it a necessity? No.

As for other supplements, occasionally I will buy some form of a pre-workout powder. This increases vascularity and bloodflow to the muscles. It also increases your energy level which can come in handy on those lathargic days. I like them, but your body can build a tolerance to it, so I do not take them regularly.

Hoff said...

Patrick,

I currently started taking creatine cuz I was plateauing and wasn't getting the gains I needed, but mostly to give me more energy for my workouts (since it is suppose to increase ATP production and in turn give you more energy for you workouts allowing you to get stronger and gain more) What would you suggest is a decent amount of time to rotate the supplement? By rotate I mean how long you are off and how long you are on.